Wednesday 16 May 2012

Another Trial

So the weekend then...
Saturday I spent with M gardening, well I was sunbathing cause it was lovely weather!

Sunday D was off work so took me to another gundog day :-) There's never any guns though?
Anyway far more tricky this time and no piccies cause they had set up barriers so other people couldn't get in the way.

So again there were 4 exercises but D only let me do 2 - one was retrieving from a loch which I did but not directly (i was trying to find an easy way into the water) and the other was retrieving one dummy when two were thrown.
The 2 that D didn't let me try were - 1) being sent to a post (i haven't done send away's yet) and then being sent left to collect a dummy, being sent out to the post again and then going right for a dummy
and 2) clearing a straw bale into a field to collect a dummy without being distracted by the fake rabbit! apparently even the excellent dogs couldn't resist the rabbit (i'm not surprised)

So this week i've looked up on the internet how to train M & D to send me away to a post, and how to get them understanding left & right, and we've been practicing every night after M & D get home.

As the trials get hard as the season goes on don't think we'll be winning any prizes but its interesting and great fun!

1 comment:

  1. fake or live...rabbit-- i'd be a goner for sure- ha! this sounds like so much fun my friend. have patience with the humans... they're a slow witted breed indeed. barks!

    ReplyDelete