Thursday 21 February 2013

Ladder Training

At the weekend M decided it was time for me to start ladder training!

She has been thinking about this for a while now as she thinks it would help when out walking for me to be able to climb stiles etc if necessary. I have been using the ladder for agility training already - walking/jogging in between the rungs whilst it has been laid flat on the floor - to improve my rear end awareness.

Instead of a flat ladder I was now facing an upright ladder. First M got me to put my front paws on the first rung - that was weird, but I got lots of treats and praise, so she moved on to the second rung - again lots of treats and praise. In short bursts we were quite quickly up to the fourth rung, which M thought was fantastic! The fifth rung took a little longer with treats and praise for just reaching for it, and then loads for when I actually got both paws up there - it is a stretch!!

I've loaded a video which was supposed to be the next step but D only recorded half of it!! M is trying to get me higher up the ladder - She's asked me to put on here that she's waiting for me to figure out by myself to lift a back leg ready to put it on the ladder - that's why even when I reach for the fifth rung I don't get a treat just loads of praise.


I am still working on this (no paw on the bottom rung yet) and M is also slowly working on me reversing down the ladder rung by rung instead of how I do it on the video. She says at some point she will need to put the ladder against a platform so I can learn to go back down it forwards but that's for later...

No comments:

Post a Comment